main | news/blog | contact | licensing | credits | cd-shop | download-shop | search
mp3 files | MIDI files | surround music | contact | newsletter | link-exchange | extras

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Scandinavian people love their holidays

Through my website www.Shockwave-Sound.com which sells music licenses for use of music in media projects, I'm able to see various "sales trends" throughout the year. I have customers from all over the world, including USA, Canada, Japan, Australia, Europe/EU, and Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland) etc. etc.

One statistical phenomenon that really stands out to me is that during the summer period (say, late June until mid August), nearly ALL sales to Scandinavian customers dry up completely, whereas the sales to the rest of the world continues more or less as normal.

My typical customer is a person who works in an office, perhaps a small business. It would seem to me that whilst most of the world's offices continue more or less as per normal through the summer holiday period, Scandinavian people simply aren't working during the summer. To Swedes, Norwegians, Danes and Finnish people, holidays are sacred!

Personally I work straight through summer, but that's just one of the realities of being all alone in a one-man company in a hard marketplace. My business simply couldn't survive just shutting down for 2 months. If nothing else, they'd be nobody here to answer customer emails or do the accounting. That's clearly not acceptable.

I have to say that sometimes I envy people who just work 8-16 in an office and don't have any responsibility to the business as a whole (or even work in the public sector). They can take their 8 weeks of holiday and really relax without a worry in the world. And us (them) Scandinavians really know how to do that!

Have a great summer! :-)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Valet2 / Valentin said...

Thank you! But, you know, I totally forgot what is "to relax". My work is my vacation as well.

July 20, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home