main | news/blog | contact | licensing | credits | cd-shop | download-shop | search
mp3 files | MIDI files | surround music | contact | newsletter | link-exchange | extras

Monday, February 27, 2006

Finishing new CD proved "too much" for PC

As of two days ago, I officially finished 100% the music for my next CD, which I have been working on, between other projects, since about November 2002. I'm now only waiting for the artist to finish the cover artwork, and then the CD can be sent off for duplication/manufacturing. It should be released in a few weeks.

No sooner had I announced the happy news on my newsletter mailing list, when suddenly my PC spontaneously rebooted. Being an Athlon user, I've seen it before. It hasn't happened to me in several months now, but I'm used to this kind of behaviour from an Athlon based system -- when the CPU overheats, it leads to spontaneous reboots. Time to brush off the fans and make sure the cooling is working as it should.

However, this time as the system was booting up again, I couldn't help noticing a strange, "burned" kind of smell. I was just about to shout downstairs to ask if anything was left on the stove in the kitchen, when the PC switched off completely and I realized the smell -- and indeed the smoke! -- was coming from my PC. I guess the overheating went a little further than usual this time!

The PC is obviously completely dead. It refuses to even think about starting up. I opened it up and removed all non-essentials (graphics card, sound cards, scsi card, hard disks, optical drives). Now when I hit the power button, the CPU fan does a few pathetic rounds and then shuts back down after less than a second. It's quite simply dead.

I think it's kind of romantic. The PC has been pushed very hard during these last few weeks as I have been working hard to finish the new album and pretty much been pushing the PC for all it's worth. It did the job, I finished the album 100%, the master CD was burned, and then it died. Maybe I should dedicate the album to the memory of my extremely hard working PC, which gave it's life to the creation of this CD. :-)

I have ordered a new CPU and Mainboard and will rebuild a new PC keeping my other bits (RAM, storage, cards, etc.). I'm now typing this on a laptop that I just happened to buy last week. Maybe I had a "sixth sense" of some sort, telling me that the end was coming for my PC.

The photo shows the corpse of my dear old PC, waiting for a new spine and a new brain (mainboard and CPU) that I can use to re-build it.

PS: The working title for the CD has always been "Beneath Another Sky", but I've now just learned that there is another album already called that, so I might go for a different title. I was thinking about maybe "Beneath a Different Sky", or "Beneath a Distant Sky". Other suggestions welcome. :-)

- Bjorn

11 Comments:

Blogger SacRat said...

Great to know your computer's death haven't influenced the album data. I think now you might need a better fan (Athlon box fans are horrible). A decent (and quite silent) fan might be bought for about $10. Good cool (both cold and cool ;)) case is a way more expensive but it's worth the money...
I think dedicating the album to the dead PC could be funny :)

Bjorn, I've just noticed few tracks from the upcoming album on the shockwave-sound.com. What's more interesting, they're available in AC3 format... Is it a sign that we might get two albums: with plain 2.0 (CDDA) and 5.1 (AC3/DD) music? ;)

February 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news about the album ! That would be funny to read "In memory of my computer" in the inlays ;-)
For the title, I was thing about "Beneath one sky" (as everyone has his own beliefs...)
Can't wait to hear the album

February 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Title suggestion (might be a bit long, but that never stopped Yes...)

'Where the stars are strange'

(A quote from Lord of the Rings, describing the other side of the world in this case)

March 02, 2006  
Blogger GT said...

Perfect timing!!!

March 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I suggest you a cooler like
akasa EVO 120 and a silent PSU from akasa too (paxpower) for your next PC.
Thanks for your free AC3 tracks.

March 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Beneath your sky" would be a good name, because everyone's "sky" is different, as is their interpretation of your music.

Graham...yet to sign up!

March 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Beneath a Shelter Sky"

March 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing that I noticed.. There aren't any system fans blowing air out of the case..

April 18, 2006  
Blogger Bjorn Lynne said...

>One thing that I noticed.. There
>aren't any system fans blowing air
>out of the case..

There was. But this is the corpse, where lots of stuff has been removed.

April 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought an artist-musician that you are, you would be using Apple computers instead of PeeCees.

April 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should get a water-cooled cpu system. They are considerably quieter and cool the cpu more effectively.

For the cd title, what about "Beneath the Motherboard"?


cheers,
dcallen

April 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home